ost muffins are full of sugar, fat, and empty calories. I set out to make a muffin that would fuel you for the first few hours of the day. That means a whole-grain, high fiber, and high protein baked good that tastes yummy and won't make you gain weight. I succeeded by using whole wheat flour, Kashi Go Lean cereal, yogurt, and egg whites. I've even added healthy omega-3 fats with ground flax seeds and walnuts.
- - nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup Arrowhead Mills stone ground organic whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup Health from the Sun Super Fi-Pro Flax ground flax seed
- 1 1/4 cup Kashi Go Leancereal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (about 1 large)
- 3/4 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup Pavich organic Thompson seedless raisins (green tin)
- 1/2 cup Flanigan Farms chopped walnuts
- 4 egg whites (8 tablespoons liquid egg whites)
- 1 6-ounce container Horizon Organic plainnonfat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 6 ounces Friendship farmer cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
Preheat the oven to 350? Fahrenheit. Spray a standard size muffin tin (2 1/2 inch diameter) sheet with cooking spray.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, flax seeds, Kashi, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, carrots, zucchini, raisins, and walnuts. Mix well.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites together with a wire whisk. Add the yogurt and vanilla and whisk together. Add all of the dry ingredients and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist and everything is combined.
Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Do not smooth over the tops. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean or the top springs back when pressed gently. Remove from oven and let stand three minutes before removing muffins from tins.
While muffins are cooling, mix farmer cheese and honey together. Serve muffins immediately with cheese to spread on top or freeze any portion you will not eat within three days.
Each muffin with 2 ounce of farmer cheese contains:||